PULSe project aims at optimizing, industrializing and securing market uptake of a Brillouin distributed sensing solution based on a synergy of innovative interrogator equipment, strain sensing cable, data processing software and open-access support tools.
In order to fulfil its goals within the 30-month project duration, the activities of PULSe are organized in 6 different workpackages:
- Work Package 1 – Project Management. The aim of WP1 is to monitor and coordinate the activities carried out in the rest of WPs in order to ensure a successful project execution. Project coordination and consortium management will consider scientific/technical aspects as well as administrative duties.
- Work Package 2 – Interrogator equipment. In WP2 the interrogator equipment will be developed to achieve the technical improvements required for market uptake, reliability improvement and cost reduction in mass replication; the performance characterisation, pre-compliance and compliance certification will be carried out, and the manufacturing process will be evaluated and validated.
- Work Package 3 – Strain sensing cables. In this workpackage the sensing cables will be designed, manufactured and pre-industrialized to enable mass-scale production of optimized cables. Manufacturing will include from optical fiber drawing from designed performs, the addition of suitable buffer coating layers, final characterization and certification tests of cable prototypes.
- Work Package 4 – Data processing software & field tests. In WP4, processing software required for carrying out data analysis will be implemented, Moreover, field tests with optimized interrogator and sensing cables will be performed in real operating environment, specifically the system will be tested on a downhole fiber deployment plant as well as on an offshore windfarm.
- Work Package 5 – Market uptake support tools. In this workpackage a web-based platform for virtual showcase of sensor equipment and cable products will be launched, comprising a download area, a technical blog and a section for example applications. Furthermore, the adoption of open standards and guidelines for data exchange and control protocols will be proposed, with the involvement of the External Exploitation Partners.
- Work Package 6 – Exploitation and dissemination. This workpackage will be dedicated to exploitation and dissemination activities, as well as to management of IPR protection. This will include the elaboration of electronic and printed promotional material, publications and presentations at trade shows and conference, and identification and invitation of external exploitation partners.